Navigation and service

History of the IERS

The International Earth Rotation Service (IERS) was established in 1987 by the International Astronomical Union and the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics and it began operation on 1 January 1988. It replaced the International Polar Motion Service (IPMS) and the earth-rotation section of the Bureau International de l'Heure (BIH); the activities of BIH on time are continued at Bureau International des Poids et Mesures (BIPM). Since 1 January 2001 the IERS has got a new structure. In 2003 it was renamed to International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service.

IERS timeline:


Texts and documents on the history and prehistory of IERS:


Past and current IERS officers:


Former IERS components:


Historical documents:

Historical documentation on the scientific and administrative activities of the BIH (1911-1987), of the MERIT Project (1978-1987), and of the first phase of IERS (1988-1997) is available at the Paris Observatory Library archive.
Contact: La.Bibliotheque@obspm.fr

This Page

© 2013 - Federal Agency for Cartography and Geodesy. All rights Reserved

Zur Datenschutzerklärung